Gas explosion kills two, injures others at Conference Hotel Abeokuta

Gas explosion kills two, injures others at Conference Hotel Abeokuta

Spread the love

A gas explosion rocked the entrance of Conference Hotel, Abeokuta on Tuesday evening which killed two people with three people confirmed injured.

According to a statement signed by the facility manager of the hotel, Engineer Tunde Osinubi, the explosion was caused by substandard gad cylinder bought for the maintenance of the revolving door by the entrance.

It is believed to be the third gas explosion in the Ogun State capital in the last two weeks.

“A routine maintenance of the Automatic revolving Door at the entrance of Hotel Reception which involved the use of oxyacetylene gas to weld the door hinges was being carried out,” the statement read.

“The Oxyacetylene gas cylinder suddenly exploded, killing the technician and one other person yet to be identified.

“Three other people were injured and were immediately taken to the hospital. They are responding to treatment.

“So far no sabotage is suspected. It is however suspected that the gas cylinder purchased at the open market may be fake or substandard and unable to withstand gas pressure.

“The incidence of Gas explosions as a result of substandard cylinders being sold have become worrisome and of great concern as three other incidents have been reported in several locations in Abeokuta within the last two weeks with casualties.

“The management of the hotel sympathizes with the families and friends of the deceased and wishes to warn the general public of the presence of fake or substandard gas cylinders in the market. This incidence is however greatly regretted.”

Post a Comment

#Follow us on Instagram